.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

WritingAfterDark

Blogs of Writer, Artist, Photographer, & Caregiver Joanne D. Kiggins

Name:
Location: United States

Joanne has published more than 2,500 articles and was award recipient of the 1990 Woman of the Year for Beaver County, Pennsylvania, for her accomplishments and excellence in journalism and to the community. Her co-authored book, “Unforgettable Journey,” won fifth place in the Grand Beginnings romance contest. An excerpt from her WIP, “Unearthed,” placed her fifth in the Absolute Write Idol contest. Most recently, her essay, “Perseverance,” is published in the Stories of Strength anthology in which 100% of the profits are donated to disaster relief charities. Her most recent articles were published in ByLine Magazine, Writer's Digest, AbsoluteWrite.com, and Moondance.org. She has a monthly freelance writing column at Absolutewrite.com. Currently, she is the sole caregiver for her 85-year-old mother.

Tuesday, October 20, 2015

Long time since I've been here.

I can't believe I was so completely absorbed in taking care of mom that my world as I once knew it was obliterated for so many years. My apologies to all the wonderful people who faithfully read my blog; I not only abandoned myself, I abandoned you.

But I never abandoned mom.  Trying to catch you up on all these past years would take a post so long that I doubt the blog could hold. So let me just say that I sit here after reading bits and pieces of this blog finding myself in awe of how I used to write and all the great people who helped me during those days.

For those who don't already know, my mom's struggle with Alzheimer's ended June 15, 2014.  Yes, Father's Day. Just like I found my dad's death on the first day of Spring appropriate, I find my mom's death on Father's Day appropriate as well.  She finally got to be with him to celebrate his day.

It's been over a year since mom passed and I still find myself walking around her house wondering what to do; start renovating this 100-year-old home, take time to grieve (don't think I've done that yet); or get my act together and try to pick up a life I've forgotten how to live.

Guess I'll get to work on all three challenges. But first I need to figure out who I am again.

So, I guess I'll do what always came naturally to me: Write.

Labels: Alzheimer's, struggle, grieve, write






Labels: , ,

Make me smile. Leave a comment...


Comment Icon From Paper Napkin

0 Comments: