.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

WritingAfterDark

Blogs of Writer, Artist, Photographer, & Caregiver Joanne D. Kiggins

Name:
Location: United States

Joanne has published more than 2,500 articles and was award recipient of the 1990 Woman of the Year for Beaver County, Pennsylvania, for her accomplishments and excellence in journalism and to the community. Her co-authored book, “Unforgettable Journey,” won fifth place in the Grand Beginnings romance contest. An excerpt from her WIP, “Unearthed,” placed her fifth in the Absolute Write Idol contest. Most recently, her essay, “Perseverance,” is published in the Stories of Strength anthology in which 100% of the profits are donated to disaster relief charities. Her most recent articles were published in ByLine Magazine, Writer's Digest, AbsoluteWrite.com, and Moondance.org. She has a monthly freelance writing column at Absolutewrite.com. Currently, she is the sole caregiver for her 85-year-old mother.

Saturday, October 29, 2005

KIA Marathon Rocks!

It got me writing again!
I completed an old manuscript this morning!!!!
Sunday night, October 23 began the fourth and final week of the KIA marathon. I’d been in a slump since the Absolute Write Idol contest ended and the KIA marathon was exactly what I needed to get me going again. I’m so happy I signed up for the dance!

Yeah, I know, there are still nearly nine hours left, but I’m finished for the week!

The first week of KIA I hopped back and forth from one manuscript to another. Yes, I managed to write a bit and edit some.

Week two and three I concentrated on one manuscript that I started years ago. I left it hanging at 175 pages in 2001. It’s been collecting dust ever since.

Week two, I added 81 pages to that manuscript. Week three, I added 62 pages. That’s a total of 143 pages. At the beginning of this week, Week Four of KIA, my manuscript was at 318 pages and I still needed to finish the story. Yeah, it’s a big one! Mom’s been sick this past week, spending a lot of time curled up on the couch and watching TV. I was able to sit in the living room with my laptop, be in the same room with her all day, every day, write, and still take care of her. Then, after she was in bed for the night, I’d write even more. I was determined to finish!

Well, fellow Nookie Ninjas and fellow writers, I finished that book early this morning. I’m not saying it’s a great book, but I love the story line. (I’ll reread it and edit it later and find out if it was worth the effort.) It totaled out at 452 pages and nearly 100,000 words. Which means from last Sunday at midnight until 9:00 a.m. this morning, I wrote a total of 134 pages to complete this novel.

Woo Hoo!!!! My manuscript’s complete and I have 134 new pages to report for Week Four of KIA.

I need some coffee and chocolate and a whole bunch of energy boosters. (And some Ben Gay for my fingers and wrists. LOL)

I’m ready to start “NaNoWriMo” in a few days with a book I have 19 pages of notes (not an outline) just notes.

After “NaNoWriMo” I have two other books to finish. The first has a total of 14 pages I wrote three years ago. The other has a total of 10 pages, written about the same time. Lots of notes for each, so I have three more novels in my mind waiting to be put in manuscript form. When these three are complete, I think I’ll concentrate on writing a query and synopsis for all my novels, rather than start a new one. What editor or agent wouldn’t want to hear that I have seven completed novels and three more I’m working on? At least they’ll know I’m not a “one book” wonder. :)

Make me smile. Leave a comment...


Comment Icon From Paper Napkin

0 Comments: