.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

WritingAfterDark

Blogs of Writer, Artist, Photographer, & Caregiver Joanne D. Kiggins

Name:
Location: United States

Joanne has published more than 2,500 articles and was award recipient of the 1990 Woman of the Year for Beaver County, Pennsylvania, for her accomplishments and excellence in journalism and to the community. Her co-authored book, “Unforgettable Journey,” won fifth place in the Grand Beginnings romance contest. An excerpt from her WIP, “Unearthed,” placed her fifth in the Absolute Write Idol contest. Most recently, her essay, “Perseverance,” is published in the Stories of Strength anthology in which 100% of the profits are donated to disaster relief charities. Her most recent articles were published in ByLine Magazine, Writer's Digest, AbsoluteWrite.com, and Moondance.org. She has a monthly freelance writing column at Absolutewrite.com. Currently, she is the sole caregiver for her 85-year-old mother.

Tuesday, December 13, 2005

AW Meme # 2 Holiday Songs

Dec. 12th AWMondayMeme: Holiday songs

List the holiday songs you know by heart, but only the ones where you know more than just the first verse.

I used to drag my daughters, Angel and Stacey and a few of their friends out Christmas caroling every year. I also used to belong to a choir and sang in the cantata each year, so I knew a number of holiday songs from start to finish. Now that you’ve asked to make a list and I have to be totally honest, I had to sing all day today to actually find out how many I still remembered. Mom and I played Christmas music all evening.

Here we go.
1. All I Want For Christmas is My Two Front Teeth – 6 verses
2. Chestnuts Roasting on an Open Fire – 4 verses
3. Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas – 4 verses
4. Jingle Bells – 5 verses
5. Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer—4 verses
6. Rockin Around the Christmas Tree – 3 verses
7. Grandma Got run Over By A Reindeer – 10 verses
8. Silver Bells – 5 verses
9. White Christmas – 3 verses
10. Twelve Days of Christmas – 12 verses
11. Oh Come, O Come Emmanuel –7 verses
12. Let It Snow – 4 verses

That’s good for now. I’m all sung out for tonight. :) But as soon as I have time, I'll write down all the words to a beautiful song I sang the solo for many years back. Wish there was some way to record it here to hear, it's an absolutely beautiful song.

,

Make me smile. Leave a comment...


Comment Icon From Paper Napkin

6 Comments:

Blogger ohdawno said...

Wonderful! I, like you, was in a choir and Christmas meant a lot of singing! Problem is, I have no memory anymore. It has been too long since I last sang (probably 15 years now). It's pretty sad. I would love to have heard you singing thru all those songs!

Thank you for doing the meme.

12/13/2005 11:06 PM  
Blogger Joanne said...

Dawno,
It's been about 14 years since I was in the choir. This old voice doesn't have what it use to. ;)

12/14/2005 6:37 AM  
Blogger ohdawno said...

Me, too! Closer to 16 now. But the beauty of singing in a choir is that the sum is greater than its parts :-)

12/15/2005 1:23 AM  
Blogger uniquematerial said...

'the sum is greater than it's parts'

Is that 'sing-speak' for hiding behind the tenors?

Great list, Joanne - it makes me want to go mutil- I mean - rearrange another Christmas tune.

12/16/2005 6:43 PM  
Blogger Joanne said...

Dawno,
The sum was greater than this part for sure. LOL I said I sang all day, I didn't say I was good at it anymore. I've lost the words and the voice after all these years.

12/17/2005 9:17 PM  
Blogger Joanne said...

Unique,
Yes, yes! Rearrange another Christmas tune. I loved the last one you did. ;)

12/17/2005 9:18 PM