.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

WritingAfterDark

Blogs of Writer, Artist, Photographer, & Caregiver Joanne D. Kiggins

Name:
Location: United States

Joanne has published more than 2,500 articles and was award recipient of the 1990 Woman of the Year for Beaver County, Pennsylvania, for her accomplishments and excellence in journalism and to the community. Her co-authored book, “Unforgettable Journey,” won fifth place in the Grand Beginnings romance contest. An excerpt from her WIP, “Unearthed,” placed her fifth in the Absolute Write Idol contest. Most recently, her essay, “Perseverance,” is published in the Stories of Strength anthology in which 100% of the profits are donated to disaster relief charities. Her most recent articles were published in ByLine Magazine, Writer's Digest, AbsoluteWrite.com, and Moondance.org. She has a monthly freelance writing column at Absolutewrite.com. Currently, she is the sole caregiver for her 85-year-old mother.

Saturday, February 11, 2006

Five Weird Habits – tagged by Jill

Jill tagged me for this five weird habits meme. Pretty cool idea, Jill. Thanks. I’ll play. Already did the superhero from Ray’s blog. The more I get to know you, the more I find we have in common. Sort of. ;)

Here's how this meme works (and if the candidates would rather tell us five weird habits rather than which superhero they are, that would be just fine):

The Rules: The first player of this game starts with the topic “five weird habits” and people who get tagged need to write an entry about their five weird habits as well as state this rule clearly. In the end, you need to choose the next five people to be tagged and link to their web journals. Don’t forget to leave a comment in their blog or journal that says “You have been tagged” (assuming they take comments) and tell them to read yours.

I’ll follow your lead with some of the things you’ve listed, Jill.

1. Yes, I sleep with socks on, too. My feet are always cold. And I’ve slept with socks on for as long as I can remember. (Love the new fuzzy warm socks they sell at Wal-Mart).

2. I clip articles of interest from newspapers and magazines and stack them in a pile (I have stacks of everything, everywhere—but neat stacks) to file them by category in my file cabinet for reference and/or story ideas. At the end of the month, I file everything. Every three months, I go through the files to see what catches my attention the most. That attention grabber normally ends up being turned into a totally off-the-wall short story or gives me an idea to add a twist in my wip.

3. Continuing with the “stacks of everything, everywhere” theme, I must admit I am a pack rat. Years ago, my tax accountant told me I should save everything related to my tax returns for 10 years, just in case of an audit. That was back in 1980. I did keep everything. Last year, I was trying to clean out unneeded cluttered around the house. When I sifted through the “tax shelf” in my basement, I wasn’t surprised to find I still have all that junk. Who needs 26 years worth of tax information? I found, in all my sifting and cleaning that I’m over precautious. I could bring myself to through out only six years of clutter. There’s still 20 years of tax crap on those shelves. Do you realize how many memories can be stirred by going through tax receipts and what a waste of time and how tiring it can be to sift through one’s life? I do, now. Next time I get the chance to clean out unneeded clutter, I’m simply going to take the contents and shred it rather than sift through unneeded memories.

4. I never let the gas indicator in the car go below a quarter tank. Never! (Only because, the one time I did, (when I was in high school) I parked on a slope and the gas that was in the tank wouldn’t go to the carburetor, the car wouldn’t start, and I had to walk a mile to a gas station and carry a five-gallon can of gas back to the car. No cell phones and nothing but uninhabited country road back then. By the time I got back to the car, the gas can felt like it weighed more than I did. I never did make the job interview that day. Probably a good thing. I didn’t really want to be a pesky phone solicitor anyway. :)

5. I don’t know if this is considered a weird habit or not, but every morning when I wake, I peek out the window, look at the sky, and say “thank you” for another day.

What did I find out about myself with this meme: I’m a thankful over precautious pack rat with cold feet!


I choose to tag Frank, Jeff, Unique, Vanessa, and Esther, since she’s become addicted to memes.

Make me smile. Leave a comment...


Comment Icon From Paper Napkin

18 Comments:

Blogger Jeff said...

Okay, I'll do the meme. Give me a few days. Thanks, Joanne. :)

2/11/2006 1:18 PM  
Blogger Jill said...

Good job, Jo! Also - Super Girl is perfect, I think - I wonder what causes the quiz to go to Wonder Woman versus Super Girl?? The bra thing ya think?

2/11/2006 2:53 PM  
Blogger Joanne said...

Glad you're joining in, Jeff.

2/11/2006 4:06 PM  
Blogger Joanne said...

I don't have anything to push up with a bra, so maybe that's the "girl" thing. LOL

2/11/2006 4:07 PM  
Blogger Esther Avila said...

LOL - thanks Joanne.
:-)OK, I'll do it.
but what five people are left to tag? That's the hardest part for me.

2/11/2006 6:48 PM  
Blogger uniquematerial said...

Weird habits? Weird habits? I don't *have* weird habits.

I'm weird; my habits are perfectly normal, thank you very much.

Sheesh. weird habits.....

2/11/2006 7:33 PM  
Blogger Joanne said...

I know, Esther! Picking those to tag is the hardest part. Just add five names and hope they join in, like I did. Thanks for joining in. :D

2/11/2006 8:29 PM  
Blogger Joanne said...

ROFL, Unique. You didn't seem weird to me when we met. You did seem perfectly normal. From one weirdo to another. ;) No wonder we get along so well. I will be anxiously awaiting a list of what you think is weird for you, though.

2/11/2006 8:31 PM  
Blogger Frank Baron said...

Okay. Unique got me too. I'm so darn normal though, it won't be easy. Hay! How'd this squirrel get on my shoulder?!

2/13/2006 10:47 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm on it! 5 weird habits coming right up! I've enjoyed reading your site too.

2/13/2006 2:47 PM  
Blogger Joanne said...

You're just a very popular guy, Frank. Thanks for joining in. You sure it was a squirrel?

2/13/2006 9:13 PM  
Blogger Joanne said...

Thanks, Vanessa. I'm happy you enjoyed my site. I'll be over to read all about your habits. ;)

2/13/2006 9:15 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I, too, am freaky about the gas tank. I think it comes from when I travelled across the country in my car for my job, but even still, it never goes below 1/4 tank, even if it's raining outside.

2/20/2006 11:21 AM  
Blogger Joanne said...

Hey, Kira. Great to see you back! I checked your blog the other day and wondered what you've been up to since mid-January. Welcome back. ;)

2/21/2006 1:04 AM  
Blogger Ray Wong said...

I sleep with my socks on, too -- I have cold feet. But nothing else. LOL

2/22/2006 9:49 PM  
Blogger Joanne said...

Maybe we should take a poll to see how many people sleep with their socks on. ;)

2/22/2006 10:53 PM  
Blogger ohdawno said...

I love your #5 - it's a weird habit we should all get into.

Frank has a squirrel on his shoulder? So much is explained...

2/25/2006 5:55 PM  
Blogger Joanne said...

It won't be long before everyone knows my entire life. :D

2/26/2006 1:30 AM