.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

WritingAfterDark

Blogs of Writer, Artist, Photographer, & Caregiver Joanne D. Kiggins

Name:
Location: United States

Joanne has published more than 2,500 articles and was award recipient of the 1990 Woman of the Year for Beaver County, Pennsylvania, for her accomplishments and excellence in journalism and to the community. Her co-authored book, “Unforgettable Journey,” won fifth place in the Grand Beginnings romance contest. An excerpt from her WIP, “Unearthed,” placed her fifth in the Absolute Write Idol contest. Most recently, her essay, “Perseverance,” is published in the Stories of Strength anthology in which 100% of the profits are donated to disaster relief charities. Her most recent articles were published in ByLine Magazine, Writer's Digest, AbsoluteWrite.com, and Moondance.org. She has a monthly freelance writing column at Absolutewrite.com. Currently, she is the sole caregiver for her 85-year-old mother.

Tuesday, October 24, 2006

The Bane of My Life: Micro-Flash Fiction entry

I'M BACK!!!

I came across Matt Dinniman’s blog the other day and noticed he was running a micro-flash fiction horror contest for Halloween. Figured what the heck, I have time to write 99 words. Here it is. There’s still time to enter if you have the notion. The deadline is Wednesday, October 25 at midnight. Check it out! Thanks, Matt. Great idea. It was fun.


The Bane of My Life

I scanned the gray worn and crumbled cement stones and various other statues in the Bane family plot. Idly doing the math, I realized something odd: all the adults buried here were exactly fifty years old when they died. All of them.

A mirror adorned the stone directly in front of me. The deeply carved dates jumped out at me in double vision. It wasn’t until the sun slid behind a cloud that I saw no reflection and the large letters of my name JODI BANE.

This can’t be! This name always had caused me misery, even in death.


, , , , ,

Make me smile. Leave a comment...


Comment Icon From Paper Napkin

12 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Very nice!!

Glad to see you back. :)

10/25/2006 8:52 AM  
Blogger SMG said...

Very good imagery in such a short amount of space! I could see the environment.

p.s. I wanted to post a comment earlier but for some reason the comment click link thing wasn't there. Faulty code or I'm imagining things.

10/25/2006 12:54 PM  
Blogger Joanne said...

Hi Jason. Good to see you still check in. I'll try to get here more often to post.

10/25/2006 5:26 PM  
Blogger Joanne said...

Thanks for reading, smg. Like that cemetary view, huh! lol Not sure what happened with the comment link. Maybe a glitch with Blogger at the time.

10/25/2006 5:27 PM  
Blogger bellemanda said...

Great mico fiction! I like the imagery and personality in your work.

10/26/2006 10:38 PM  
Blogger Ray Wong said...

Good writing! And keep at it. Are you writing this week? :)

Glad to have you back.

10/27/2006 12:19 AM  
Blogger Joanne said...

Thanks Belle. I glad you liked it. I appreciate your comment.

10/27/2006 5:45 PM  
Blogger Joanne said...

Thanks Ray! Does that 99 words count toward the 5,000 due this week? LOL Yes, I'm writing this week. Not telling how much I have completed yet though. ;)

10/27/2006 5:46 PM  
Blogger Jeff said...

Great story, Joanne! :)

10/27/2006 7:54 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's a good one - I'm glad you entered!

Now we gnaw our fingernails as we wait for the winner to be announced!

10/28/2006 1:31 AM  
Blogger Joanne said...

Thanks Jeff. Glad you enjoyed it.

10/28/2006 8:56 AM  
Blogger Joanne said...

Thanks Dawn. Glad to see you here. Good luck with your entry!

10/28/2006 5:42 PM