.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

WritingAfterDark

Blogs of Writer, Artist, Photographer, & Caregiver Joanne D. Kiggins

Name:
Location: United States

Joanne has published more than 2,500 articles and was award recipient of the 1990 Woman of the Year for Beaver County, Pennsylvania, for her accomplishments and excellence in journalism and to the community. Her co-authored book, “Unforgettable Journey,” won fifth place in the Grand Beginnings romance contest. An excerpt from her WIP, “Unearthed,” placed her fifth in the Absolute Write Idol contest. Most recently, her essay, “Perseverance,” is published in the Stories of Strength anthology in which 100% of the profits are donated to disaster relief charities. Her most recent articles were published in ByLine Magazine, Writer's Digest, AbsoluteWrite.com, and Moondance.org. She has a monthly freelance writing column at Absolutewrite.com. Currently, she is the sole caregiver for her 85-year-old mother.

Sunday, July 02, 2006

Back to Nature -- Doves, Groundhogs, Beetles and Cones

Mourning Dove in a Basket
You know me. I simply can’t quit taking pictures. While I was visiting with my daughter in May, I spotted a Mourning Dove nesting in her hanging basket. She seemed quite calm as the camera snapped a few shots.


Later, when she flew off to greet her spouse, I peeked in the basket and found she’d left a few eggs. Angel tells me that she’s hatched them and she was able to get pictures of the babies. I’m still waiting on her to e-mail the photos to me.


Baby Groundhogs on the Driveway
I’ll bet these little critters are offspring of the “treehog” in my earlier post.

When I first saw them from a distance, they almost looked like porcupine.

I just had to get up close and personal to make sure they weren’t. They were really young, and naïve. They didn’t flinch or move when I walked up to them.

Beetles and Things That Poke Out of the Ground

Yesterday was beautiful and filled with more yard work. Two Feather mowed the lawn in the morning while I continued the never-ending task of pulling weeds from the flowerbeds. Later in the evening, my dog was running around the yard and I noticed her creeping up to something in the yard. She jumped back and ran then crept back up to it again. I watched, wondering what she’d found. There was something white sticking up in the grass.

I’ve never seen anything like this. Within three hours of the lawn being mowed, beetles had built this amazing looking cone. I know this is some type of ground beetle, but I haven’t found what type yet.

Make me smile. Leave a comment...


Comment Icon From Paper Napkin

11 Comments:

Blogger Jeff said...

I always enjoy the photos you post, Joanne. :)

7/09/2006 4:41 PM  
Blogger Anne C. Watkins said...

Wow! What great pictures! Thanks for sharing those, Jo. I loved the ones in the previous post, too. When can I schedule you and Two to come help us in our yard? :)

7/10/2006 2:20 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I found that same surprise your daughter did... I have barn swallows nesting and hatching eggs on my patio wall!! You can see th photos here: http://www.craftedcustomgifts.com/wordpress/?p=50

Anyway I enjoyed reading your blog and thought I would tell you so!! Have a good day!

7/12/2006 2:34 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I realized the darn link isn't clickable... :-( So sorry..
Now you can click it!!!

May I link to your blog??

7/12/2006 2:40 PM  
Blogger Joanne said...

Thanks, Jeff. Hopefully this weekend I'll have some time to catch up on my blog reading and post more pics. Your blog is one I really need to visit. Haven't been there for awhile. :)

7/12/2006 9:31 PM  
Blogger Joanne said...

Ha! Two and I may make a trip sometime before 2010. I'll make sure I fit you in our schedule. LOL
Thanks for viewing. Glad you loved the pictures. Love you blog as well. ;)

7/12/2006 9:32 PM  
Blogger Joanne said...

Talins, thanks for reading. You have some great pics of the swallows. How cute those babies are! Sure you can link to my blog anytime. Thanks for reading.

7/12/2006 9:33 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You know? I really should get up there sometime . . . ?

-Jo

7/15/2006 1:18 PM  
Blogger Esther Avila said...

I love your pictues, Joanne. And that cone thing is so interesting. Did you discover anything more about it? I've never seen nor heard such a thing.

7/21/2006 12:06 AM  
Blogger Joanne said...

Whoah, Jo! I just discovered your comment. What a wonderful surprise to see you here. Yes, you should get up here. It's probably the only way we'll see each other anytime soon. ;)

10/24/2006 9:12 PM  
Blogger Joanne said...

Esther,
No, I still haven't found out what type of beetles they were. I'm still looking, though. When I find out, I'll be back to let everyone know. ;)

10/24/2006 9:13 PM