.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

WritingAfterDark

Blogs of Writer, Artist, Photographer, & Caregiver Joanne D. Kiggins

Name:
Location: United States

Joanne has published more than 2,500 articles and was award recipient of the 1990 Woman of the Year for Beaver County, Pennsylvania, for her accomplishments and excellence in journalism and to the community. Her co-authored book, “Unforgettable Journey,” won fifth place in the Grand Beginnings romance contest. An excerpt from her WIP, “Unearthed,” placed her fifth in the Absolute Write Idol contest. Most recently, her essay, “Perseverance,” is published in the Stories of Strength anthology in which 100% of the profits are donated to disaster relief charities. Her most recent articles were published in ByLine Magazine, Writer's Digest, AbsoluteWrite.com, and Moondance.org. She has a monthly freelance writing column at Absolutewrite.com. Currently, she is the sole caregiver for her 85-year-old mother.

Friday, June 09, 2006

Graduation Day! Cum Laude! Happy Days!!!!!!

The end of Week Two in May.

The four-hour trip to Angel’s house was pleasant. Mom was excited about visiting her and seeing her graduate. I, the emotional ball of wax I am, had far too many feelings running through me. I was worried about how the trip would affect Mom, ecstatic about visiting Angel and watching her walk up to receive her diploma, worried about Angel giving birth to her first born, ecstatic about becoming a grandmother again—good grief there was enough emotions flowing in me for four people!
But finally, after years of perseverance, fortitude, and hours of study and determination, my daughter completed law school and graduated cum laude on May 13th from The Dickinson School of Law. I’m proud of you, Angel!

Here she is walking up to receive her diploma.

She failed to tell me prior to graduation that she was blessed with awards and honors and that she was going to sing the National Anthem at the commencement. She has a tendency to want to surprise me with things such as this. As if crying isn’t a mother’s natural reaction anyway when she’s proud of a child’s accomplishment, the tears poured more when I heard the awards and watched her sing.

Here she is walking down the steps after receiving her diploma.
In case you can’t tell from the look on her face, and her nails grinding into the railing during her walk down the steps, she was in labor during the commencement!

Here she is with her proud mother!

In case I didn’t mention it—I’m proud of my daughter!
Love you, Angel!

Make me smile. Leave a comment...


Comment Icon From Paper Napkin

2 Comments:

Blogger Jeff said...

Congratulations to your daughter, Joanne! You have every reason to be proud. Nice pictures, too.
It's good to see you back posting. :)

6/10/2006 12:19 PM  
Blogger Joanne said...

Thanks, Jeff. It's good to be back. I've missed being online. I'm hoping I'll get back to my regular schedule soon. Oh...I think I am. It's 1:30 a.m. and time for me to catch a few winks. ;)

6/12/2006 12:37 AM