.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

WritingAfterDark

Blogs of Writer, Artist, Photographer, & Caregiver Joanne D. Kiggins

Name:
Location: United States

Joanne has published more than 2,500 articles and was award recipient of the 1990 Woman of the Year for Beaver County, Pennsylvania, for her accomplishments and excellence in journalism and to the community. Her co-authored book, “Unforgettable Journey,” won fifth place in the Grand Beginnings romance contest. An excerpt from her WIP, “Unearthed,” placed her fifth in the Absolute Write Idol contest. Most recently, her essay, “Perseverance,” is published in the Stories of Strength anthology in which 100% of the profits are donated to disaster relief charities. Her most recent articles were published in ByLine Magazine, Writer's Digest, AbsoluteWrite.com, and Moondance.org. She has a monthly freelance writing column at Absolutewrite.com. Currently, she is the sole caregiver for her 85-year-old mother.

Monday, March 27, 2006

Grandma Shakespeare Kiggins and the Apple Peel Contest

Grandma Shakespeare Kiggins (my dad’s mom) and I used to have apple-peeling contests. No it wasn’t a contest to see who could peel the most apples in the shortest amount of time. It was a contest to see who could peel an apple keeping the peel all in one piece.

It’s been a long time since I tried this; Grandma’s been gone more than 30 years. In her honor, I thought I’d give it a try for old time sake. I’m sure she’s smiling her “that’s my girl” smile as she watched me attempt the feat. After 30+ years, I can still peel an apple in one long piece.

Just one of the many crazy little things I’m still capable of doing. I guess this pretty much shows everyone that I am a country girl and my life as a child was pretty boring. Still is, in fact.

How many of you can peel an apple without breaking the peel?

, ,

Make me smile. Leave a comment...


Comment Icon From Paper Napkin

9 Comments:

Blogger Ray Wong said...

I'm hungry.

3/28/2006 12:16 AM  
Blogger Joanne said...

Eat an apple, Ray. They're good for you.

3/28/2006 7:45 AM  
Blogger Jenna said...

I can't do that! Pretty neat.

I can't even eat oranges. I get too frustrated because it takes me, like, 20 minutes to peel away the peel, and by then, it's all stuck under my nails and I've squirted orange juice in my eye and my hands are all sticky.

4/02/2006 3:54 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I smiled as I read this -- I love thinking back to loved ones who are gone but continue to touch us. It has been a long time since I've tried such a peeling (and yes, have done it once or twice, but usually it breaks towards the end, most likely of excitement...."almost there, almost there...darn!")
Thanks for bringing back memories. My daughter ate our last apple yesterday, so gotta wait till I get some to try it. I wonder if I can do it?

4/02/2006 3:57 PM  
Blogger Esther Avila said...

LOL, Jenna. That's why I only peel Naval Oranges. If it's the thin-skinned Valencias, I just cut in quarters. :-)

4/02/2006 3:59 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My grandmother tried to teach me to do that once. I hadn't thought about it in years. Thanks.

-chris

4/02/2006 8:58 PM  
Blogger Joanne said...

I know what you mean, Jenna. I never liked peeling oranges either. Tupperware has a really nifty orange peeler thingy that saves you from getting all sticky. I'll send you one!

4/02/2006 9:29 PM  
Blogger Joanne said...

Esther-thanks for dropping by. I love memories! I have so many good ones to share. Glad you enjoyed it, and good luck getting around the whole apple when you get some. ;)

4/02/2006 9:31 PM  
Blogger Joanne said...

TT-you're a sweetheart for sending people here. Much appreciated. You said your grandmother tried to teach you. Did you learn?

4/02/2006 9:33 PM