.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

WritingAfterDark

Blogs of Writer, Artist, Photographer, & Caregiver Joanne D. Kiggins

Name:
Location: United States

Joanne has published more than 2,500 articles and was award recipient of the 1990 Woman of the Year for Beaver County, Pennsylvania, for her accomplishments and excellence in journalism and to the community. Her co-authored book, “Unforgettable Journey,” won fifth place in the Grand Beginnings romance contest. An excerpt from her WIP, “Unearthed,” placed her fifth in the Absolute Write Idol contest. Most recently, her essay, “Perseverance,” is published in the Stories of Strength anthology in which 100% of the profits are donated to disaster relief charities. Her most recent articles were published in ByLine Magazine, Writer's Digest, AbsoluteWrite.com, and Moondance.org. She has a monthly freelance writing column at Absolutewrite.com. Currently, she is the sole caregiver for her 85-year-old mother.

Thursday, March 23, 2006

Back to Nature

Yeah, I know. I’ve already posted pictures of the deer and turkey in my yard. I can’t help it! I’m a nature lover. These deer and turkey are so used to seeing me and hearing my camera spin out of control, they now seem to be posing for me. Most of the time, the deer glance at me and continue to munch on the grass. Last week I had one deer come up to within about five feet of me, then, I think she decided it wasn’t such a good idea. She stomped her foot, turned slowly, and walked back into the group.

Here are five of the eight deer that hang around to see if I’m still watching. Really! There are five. Look close. You'll see it. Or at least parts of it. The ears of a young deer are showing on the back of a larger one in the top left of the picture.

Here’s part of the flock of nearly 100 turkeys that roam our yard. They're getting comfortable with me, too. They look at me, fluff up their feathers, and go back to scratching and pecking at the ground.

Here are the deer and turkey holding a meeting.

To me, there’s nothing like watching wildlife. They’re so innocent and can be very comical at time.

Oh yes, remember the picture of the squirrel I promised. She finally sat still long enough for me to snap this shot. Yes, she’s sitting on our sidewalk in front of the porch.

Come back again. I’ll have a few more pictures here soon. Really great pictures of unusual things. You’ll love them. Honest!

, , ,
,

Make me smile. Leave a comment...


Comment Icon From Paper Napkin

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Whoa! That's an amazing turkey flock you've got there!

3/25/2006 9:51 PM  
Blogger Jeff said...

These are great photos, Joanne.
Thanks for sharing. :)

3/25/2006 11:19 PM  
Blogger ohdawno said...

Lovely. Thank you for posting, since I live in an urban area I don't get to see sights like that!

3/26/2006 4:37 AM  
Blogger Joanne said...

And that's only about 1/3 of them, Jason. The whole side yard is filled when they all come.

3/26/2006 9:10 AM  
Blogger Joanne said...

Thanks, Jeff. I still have two rolls of film to develop. There are some really interesting pictures coming up. ;)

3/26/2006 9:10 AM  
Blogger Joanne said...

Dawno, I'm happy you enjoy the pictures. With as early as you get up, if you did live in the country, you could see all sorts of things. :)

3/26/2006 9:11 AM  
Blogger Esther Avila said...

Wow. Imagine being able to see that! Thank you for sharing, Joanne. That's great. And you say you have two undeveloped rolls of film? -- sounds like you could use a digital camera! Click away, keep only the photos you want and upload pics to your computer within minutes of taking them. :-)

3/26/2006 12:56 PM  
Blogger Joanne said...

Hi Esther. So glad you stopped by! Oh, I do have a digital camera I use faithfully for some shots that don't require a lot of detail. But I'll never give up taking shots with my Canon and the telephoto zoom and macro lenses and filters. :) Much more clarity.

3/26/2006 3:52 PM