.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

WritingAfterDark

Blogs of Writer, Artist, Photographer, & Caregiver Joanne D. Kiggins

Name:
Location: United States

Joanne has published more than 2,500 articles and was award recipient of the 1990 Woman of the Year for Beaver County, Pennsylvania, for her accomplishments and excellence in journalism and to the community. Her co-authored book, “Unforgettable Journey,” won fifth place in the Grand Beginnings romance contest. An excerpt from her WIP, “Unearthed,” placed her fifth in the Absolute Write Idol contest. Most recently, her essay, “Perseverance,” is published in the Stories of Strength anthology in which 100% of the profits are donated to disaster relief charities. Her most recent articles were published in ByLine Magazine, Writer's Digest, AbsoluteWrite.com, and Moondance.org. She has a monthly freelance writing column at Absolutewrite.com. Currently, she is the sole caregiver for her 85-year-old mother.

Tuesday, February 21, 2006

The Street Smart Writer Review in The Compulsive Reader

Back on January 29, I announced that I was asked to be a book reviewer for The Compulsive Reader. My review of The Pacific Between by Raymond K. Wong is published there. It’s also been syndicated to Cleveland.com, nola.com, nj.com, pennlive.com, mlive.com, masslive.com, Alabama Everything, and the Plain Dealer.

This evening, my review of The Street Smart Writer: Self-Defense Against Sharks and Scams in the Writing World by Jenna Glatzer and Daniel Steven, is published in The Compulsive Reader. The review is also on my blog, my website, and Blogcritics. It’s floating around to a few other publishers as well.

It’s been a busy week at home, but I still managed to submit a few articles for publication. I joined the Acceptance and Rejection Pledge threads at Absolute Write.

The motto for both pledges is: You can’t publish if you don’t submit.

I pledged to submit one piece a week. That’s only 52 submissions for the year. Presently I’ve submitted 25 pieces to publications. At this rate, I’ll not only pass up my pledge, but also possibly triple what I’d anticipated.

Submissions: 25
Acceptances: 8
Rejections: 4

Last week I accomplished nothing. This week has been one piece of good news after another. I’m looking forward to keeping my writing juices flowing and I can’t think of any better way than to continue reading and writing reviews. It’s exhilarating to read and find myself anxious to get to work on my own writing.

I'm getting closer to completing the edit on my novel Roadkill. Very soon I’ll be concentrating on writing a synopsis and submitting it to a publisher/agent. The research for both is still pending. There’s no doubt in my mind that Roadkill will be in the mail before the end of this year to either an agent, or a publisher, who accepts manuscripts without agent representation.

Seems I’m taking on the writing habits I had back in 1990--working until the wee hours of the morning, sleeping for a few hours, and waking up to write once again before I wake my Mom for the day. I’ve always believed I worked better under pressure and with short deadlines, and I’m finding out that is truer now more than ever.

For all my friends who continue to encourage me, thank you! To all those who continue to struggle with their writing, my advice is and always will be, keep writing, never give up, and always persevere.

Happy writing all!

, ,,, , ,

Make me smile. Leave a comment...


Comment Icon From Paper Napkin

6 Comments:

Blogger Jeff said...

You've been busy, Joanne. It sounds like good things are in the works and I'm happy for you. And thanks for the encouragement about my own writing. :)

2/22/2006 8:59 AM  
Blogger Ray Wong said...

Great going Jo. The reviews keep getting picked up because you're such a damn good writer. Keep it up but don't work too hard.

2/22/2006 9:48 PM  
Blogger Joanne said...

Hi Jeff. It's always good to see you here. I'm recharging my batteries now. :)

2/22/2006 10:41 PM  
Blogger Joanne said...

Thanks, Ray. That's sweet. Finished reading another book last night. Writing the review this weekend. Then, I'm on to the next book. :D

2/22/2006 10:43 PM  
Blogger Anne C. Watkins said...

You are such an inspiration, Joanne! *hugs*

3/14/2006 7:48 PM  
Blogger Joanne said...

Thanks, Anne. I'm slowing down, but I keep at it. :)

3/20/2006 9:41 PM