.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

WritingAfterDark

Blogs of Writer, Artist, Photographer, & Caregiver Joanne D. Kiggins

Name:
Location: United States

Joanne has published more than 2,500 articles and was award recipient of the 1990 Woman of the Year for Beaver County, Pennsylvania, for her accomplishments and excellence in journalism and to the community. Her co-authored book, “Unforgettable Journey,” won fifth place in the Grand Beginnings romance contest. An excerpt from her WIP, “Unearthed,” placed her fifth in the Absolute Write Idol contest. Most recently, her essay, “Perseverance,” is published in the Stories of Strength anthology in which 100% of the profits are donated to disaster relief charities. Her most recent articles were published in ByLine Magazine, Writer's Digest, AbsoluteWrite.com, and Moondance.org. She has a monthly freelance writing column at Absolutewrite.com. Currently, she is the sole caregiver for her 85-year-old mother.

Saturday, March 25, 2006

Chronicles of Narnia: Great Old Find on My Dusty Bookshelf

Recently, while dusting my bookshelves, I actually paid attention to the books I’d placed there so many years ago. In all fairness, one bookcase contains many books I haven’t even read yet. I bought them because the cover, title, or author of the book caught my eye, or because at the time, they seemed like a great find. How many of you have purchased books, placed them on your bookshelf, unread, and forgotten about them?

The reason I asked, is…while scanning this one particular “great find” bookcase, I found the Scholastic version of Book 1 in the Chronicles of Narnia: The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe by C.S. Lewis. I have no idea when I purchased it or why, but I can tell you that it’s been at least 15 years since I’ve placed a book in this bookcase.

The pages are yellowed and have the smell of a very old library book. The cover artwork is enchanting.

With the recent hype about the movie Narnia, which I haven’t seen, I was quite shocked and excited that I have the September 1987 First Scholastic printing. I might even add it to my “to read” pile. But then, again, maybe I should just go out and buy the new version.
, , , ,

Make me smile. Leave a comment...


Comment Icon From Paper Napkin

2 Comments:

Blogger Esther Avila said...

I love books and have many in my library. Of course, many I have not read. I have two rows of all of Danielle Steel's hard-cover books - which I have read only once but love to keep. And I have books that I would love to read someday but have not had time. And books, that I buy as reference or because someone else might be interested in them. But, like you, I get excited when I run into an older book that's been there forever and I kind of forgot about. (when I got married, my husband had more than 500 books - including some awesome "Carl Sandberg's Lincoln" - an 6-volume on everything ever written by Abraham Lincoln - published 1926-1939. Amazing. I love those books.

3/26/2006 12:50 PM  
Blogger Joanne said...

Books are wonderful to read and peruse. I know what you mean about the Danielle Steel books. I have three shelves of Stephen King books. He's the only author I collect in hard cover.

3/26/2006 3:54 PM