.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

WritingAfterDark

Blogs of Writer, Artist, Photographer, & Caregiver Joanne D. Kiggins

Name:
Location: United States

Joanne has published more than 2,500 articles and was award recipient of the 1990 Woman of the Year for Beaver County, Pennsylvania, for her accomplishments and excellence in journalism and to the community. Her co-authored book, “Unforgettable Journey,” won fifth place in the Grand Beginnings romance contest. An excerpt from her WIP, “Unearthed,” placed her fifth in the Absolute Write Idol contest. Most recently, her essay, “Perseverance,” is published in the Stories of Strength anthology in which 100% of the profits are donated to disaster relief charities. Her most recent articles were published in ByLine Magazine, Writer's Digest, AbsoluteWrite.com, and Moondance.org. She has a monthly freelance writing column at Absolutewrite.com. Currently, she is the sole caregiver for her 85-year-old mother.

Monday, March 27, 2006

Four-Leaf Clover and Peacock Eye Feather

I’ve been on sort of a nostalgia kick lately. Thinking about my grandma and the little things we used to do to keep busy during the day, made me dig into my wallet and pull out a few pieces of memorabilia.

When Grandma and I were tired of peeling apples, we used to get down on our hands and knees and search the yard for four-leaf clovers. There used to be clover everywhere in the front yard, but it seems to have died out over the years. We did find four-leaf clovers, though. And big ones.

Here’s one that I wrapped in wax paper and slipped into a plastic photo sleeve. I’ve been carrying this in my wallet for more than 30 years. Can’t say that it has brought me much luck though.

Here’s another little piece of time I laminated and kept in my wallet. I was three years old when we took a trip to New York. We went to the New York zoo. Yes, I actually remember the trip! I saved this peacock eye feather I found outside the peacock fence. It’s 50 years old, and I’ve been carrying it in my wallet next to the four-leaf clover.
, , ,

Make me smile. Leave a comment...


Comment Icon From Paper Napkin

4 Comments:

Blogger anne frasier said...

i love these!!!!

very cool, joanne. thanks for sharing.

3/28/2006 7:01 PM  
Blogger Joanne said...

Thanks for stopping by, Anne. Oh yes, loved the cd and dvd. I will soon have copies of all your books. Just got an email that they're on their way. When Pale Immortal comes out, I'll be sure to purchase it as well.

3/28/2006 8:08 PM  
Blogger ohdawno said...

wow! those are wonderful! And you'll love this week's meme if you're nostalgic!

4/11/2006 11:38 PM  
Blogger Esther Avila said...

So, four-leaf clovers really exist? Wow. As a kid and teen, I'd sit out on the grass sometimes (um..clovers) and search and search and never found one. I actually thought they were a myth. Thanks for setting the record straight for me. :) That was a lovely entry.

5/11/2006 12:48 AM