.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

WritingAfterDark

Blogs of Writer, Artist, Photographer, & Caregiver Joanne D. Kiggins

Name:
Location: United States

Joanne has published more than 2,500 articles and was award recipient of the 1990 Woman of the Year for Beaver County, Pennsylvania, for her accomplishments and excellence in journalism and to the community. Her co-authored book, “Unforgettable Journey,” won fifth place in the Grand Beginnings romance contest. An excerpt from her WIP, “Unearthed,” placed her fifth in the Absolute Write Idol contest. Most recently, her essay, “Perseverance,” is published in the Stories of Strength anthology in which 100% of the profits are donated to disaster relief charities. Her most recent articles were published in ByLine Magazine, Writer's Digest, AbsoluteWrite.com, and Moondance.org. She has a monthly freelance writing column at Absolutewrite.com. Currently, she is the sole caregiver for her 85-year-old mother.

Sunday, October 29, 2006

Which Witch is the Witch?

It’s almost Halloween! Today reached only 44 degrees on this little mountain and I couldn’t help but become a bit nostalgic about the season. I sat on the wooden step of my mom’s porch and watched small tornadoes of newly fallen leaves circle and fall only to be snapped back up by the wind to circle and fall again. The crisp air slapped against my face and I smiled when I thought of the scare tactics we used to use on neighborhood children already reluctant to walk the long winding drive to a creepy house decked out in all its Halloween gore.

When my kids were young, they loved how I decorated the yard and house. I took so much pleasure in cutting plywood into ghoulish figures, painting them, and designing a yard full of displays that scared even the adults at times.

One year I’d had so many ghosts, goblins, witches, and gravestones, one didn’t notice a house beyond the display. It was the witch stirring her cauldron that caught the eye of nearly every Halloween visitor. It took me three days to paint her 6’ high body and gnarly green face. When she was finished, I placed my dad’s old chicken boiling kettle beneath her broom handle and it made the perfect cauldron. The spooky-shaped trees casting shadows over her green face added to the adrenaline rush that kids would get when they’d see her at a distance from the long dark drive.

Yes, I remember the days my kids’ friends came trick-or-treating just to see the witch. I can still hear the blood curdling screams they’d made when I’d jump out from behind the witch.







Join the Halloween Story Festival and tell us your favorite Halloween memory.

Use this tag (add <> opening and closing tags at the beginning and end.
< href="http://technorati.com/tag/HalloweenStoryFestival" rel="tag">Halloween Story Festival


,
,, , , , ,

Make me smile. Leave a comment...


Comment Icon From Paper Napkin

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't know how I missed this, but please accept my late entry!

http://www.dtkelly.net/?p=314

11/03/2006 8:33 AM  
Blogger Jeff said...

That's a great Halloween memory, Joanne. I remember one Halloween years ago when I was around 12. A friend and I were hiding in a cornfield tossing shelled corn at passing motorists. LOL
One car stopped and we heard a male voice say, "Let's get them."
We ran for our lives . . . right into an unseen barbed wire fence. Besides our scrapes, my friend lost his glasses and never found them again! I guess we deserved it for the prank we played. ha ha!

11/03/2006 8:34 PM  
Blogger Joanne said...

Thanks for joining in, d.t. kelly.

11/04/2006 11:55 AM  
Blogger Joanne said...

Ha! Jeff. That barbed wire fence had to hurt. Ouch! Glad it wasn't any worse than a few scrapes and lost glasses. :) Great Halloween memory. A little moral on pranks as well. ;)

11/04/2006 11:57 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great story, Joanne, even after Halloween... and perfect for a five things meme, no? Tag-- you're it!

11/24/2006 8:58 PM  
Blogger Ray Wong said...

well, guess what, I tagged you, too. :) You're so popular (or maybe I really don't have any other friends)

12/04/2006 12:56 AM  
Blogger Joanne said...

Thanks Amy and Ray. I sure hope this doesn't mean I'm required to post ten things about myself. ;)

12/16/2006 11:51 PM