.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

WritingAfterDark

Blogs of Writer, Artist, Photographer, & Caregiver Joanne D. Kiggins

Name:
Location: United States

Joanne has published more than 2,500 articles and was award recipient of the 1990 Woman of the Year for Beaver County, Pennsylvania, for her accomplishments and excellence in journalism and to the community. Her co-authored book, “Unforgettable Journey,” won fifth place in the Grand Beginnings romance contest. An excerpt from her WIP, “Unearthed,” placed her fifth in the Absolute Write Idol contest. Most recently, her essay, “Perseverance,” is published in the Stories of Strength anthology in which 100% of the profits are donated to disaster relief charities. Her most recent articles were published in ByLine Magazine, Writer's Digest, AbsoluteWrite.com, and Moondance.org. She has a monthly freelance writing column at Absolutewrite.com. Currently, she is the sole caregiver for her 85-year-old mother.

Friday, September 07, 2007

Memories Cut Limb by Limb

Friday, September 7, 2007

Some memories you can keep forever; others need to be cut away limb by limb to maintain peace of mind.

Today, I’m watching a part of my life that has been around for as long as I can remember be stripped of its branches and laid to rest. The nearly 100-foot pine tree that stood tall, overshadowing my Mom’s house, is being taken down. With the storm damage a few weeks ago, we dodged a bullet and I felt it was time to remove a tree that had the potential of being a real danger to Mom’s house. The last thing we need is a storm during the middle of the night, or anytime for that matter, that could easily uproot this monstrous pine tree and have it land on the house.



As I watch Tracy Fennell, owner of Fennell’s Tree Service, climb with his spikes, I remember climbing this tree as a child and with each branch he falls a little piece of me falls apart. I’ve always known I’m an emotional and sentimental type person, but these past years taking care of Mom I’ve realized how very tuned in I’ve been to my past and my surroundings. It was with great sorrow and many tears I watched each limb come down.

Here is a picture of the same area after the tree is down.


I mentioned that I was saddened that the tree was taken down, but I must admit, it makes the view to the side yard all that more beautiful. The deer and turkey are more visible and it’s quite fun to watch them graze in the yard.

Labels: , ,

Make me smile. Leave a comment...


Comment Icon From Paper Napkin

0 Comments: