.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

WritingAfterDark

Blogs of Writer, Artist, Photographer, & Caregiver Joanne D. Kiggins

Name:
Location: United States

Joanne has published more than 2,500 articles and was award recipient of the 1990 Woman of the Year for Beaver County, Pennsylvania, for her accomplishments and excellence in journalism and to the community. Her co-authored book, “Unforgettable Journey,” won fifth place in the Grand Beginnings romance contest. An excerpt from her WIP, “Unearthed,” placed her fifth in the Absolute Write Idol contest. Most recently, her essay, “Perseverance,” is published in the Stories of Strength anthology in which 100% of the profits are donated to disaster relief charities. Her most recent articles were published in ByLine Magazine, Writer's Digest, AbsoluteWrite.com, and Moondance.org. She has a monthly freelance writing column at Absolutewrite.com. Currently, she is the sole caregiver for her 85-year-old mother.

Thursday, October 25, 2007

A Walk Through The Woods

Two Feather and I took a walk through the woods again on Monday while Mom was at day care. I couldn’t resist taking some pictures of the path from our house to Mom’s.

Walking through the woods is so relaxing and with the trees turning their beautiful colors of autumn, our walks are that much more enjoyable. After our walk, we got on the Kawasaki Mule and rode the path all the way to the end of Mom’s driveway. The trees across the road from her driveway are absolutely beautiful.

Here are a few pictures of her driveway coming from the bottom up. The first is about one-third of the way up the hill. You can see in the upper right hand corner there is a bend in the road that continues up the hill.

This picture was taken just as we came around that bend. I’ve never really checked the odometer on the car for the length of the driveway, but it’s a long drive.

I used to walk this gravel drive every day to catch the school bus. On days like these pictures were taken, it was a pleasant walk. In the winter, there was more sliding down the drive than walking. I learned to drive on this hill. If you can make it up and down my mom’s driveway in the winter, you can drive anywhere.

When we came back to my house, I figured I might as well show you what my driveway looks like. This picture is taken from the bottom of the drive pointing up the drive. The wood stack that I showed in a previous post is at the very top of my driveway at the furthermost corner and beginning of my property. You can't see to the top of the driveway in this picture because of the shadows that the trees cast over half the driveway. Now you can see why we never get any trick-or-treaters for Halloween. The driveway looks spooky during the day, imagine what it looks like at night.

Unless you have four-wheel-drive, most people can’t get up our driveway in the winter. Some have a difficult time making it up in good weather. It’s a 45-degree angle no matter which way you look at it.

My garage is at the bottom of the drive and my house sits back a long sidewalk away from the drive. I’ll show the house and garage later. (After I have time to do some long needed yard work.)

Two Feather has a path running from the drive, around the back of the house, and down the hill to what was once my dad’s old tractor path. Here are a few pictures of that path below my house through the woods.
In this picture, the path runs to a point where it breaks off into another overgrown and tree fallen path to my brother’s house.
Down the path a little farther, the path breaks off into another path that runs over to Dad’s old garden, which is partly my property and my mom’s. Two Feather cleaned up the fallen trees and mowed the old garden area. He rototilled it and planted it for three years. This year we didn't have a garden, but next spring he'll mow it down again and probably plant a field of pumpkins and squash like he did last year. Mom's freezer is full of several different types of squash from last year's garden.



From there the path runs all the way to Mom’s house. No matter what part of the path you’re on, in any season, it’s beautiful.

Labels: , , , , , ,

Make me smile. Leave a comment...


Comment Icon From Paper Napkin

9 Comments:

Blogger nancy said...

how absolutely beautiful and peaceful. i can certainly see why you love this area. the further away from all the hustle and bustle, the better!!

10/26/2007 5:53 PM  
Blogger Joanne said...

You've got that right, Nancy. I've always been a country girl. Lived near the city of Cleveland for a short bit and couldn't stand the congestion. The only thing that separated my house from the next was the driveway. Glad ours is long and hidden. :D

10/26/2007 8:55 PM  
Blogger Lori1955 said...

Great pictures. It does look so peaceful there. You'll have to take me for a long walk when I come visit. How much land do you have? It looks like a lot.

10/27/2007 9:51 AM  
Blogger ~Betsy said...

This is such a typical Western PA scene, isn't it Joanne? This is why I love this area so much!

No wonder you were unhappy in Cleveland - it's CLEVELAND for heaven's sake! haha

Thanks for sharing the photos. Beaver county is so beautiful and untouched.

10/27/2007 11:24 AM  
Blogger Bhaswati said...

Thanks for taking me on a journey into a world I haven't seen yet. I felt the serenity of the place. You are so, so lucky. :-)

10/27/2007 1:18 PM  
Blogger Joanne said...

Sure, Lori. Let me know when you plan to visit. :)

10/27/2007 2:15 PM  
Blogger Joanne said...

Hi Betsy! Cleveland. You're right! LOL Yes, Beaver County is beautiful. It does make me sad that there are more and more housing developments moving in, though. :(

10/27/2007 5:20 PM  
Blogger Joanne said...

Ah, Sury. Anytime you get over this way, feel free to look me up. You'll always have a place to stay. Glad you could enjoy the view by the pictures for now at least.

10/27/2007 5:21 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

We don't have the trees you have except some down by the river. But we have our pasture road that goes from Judy's house to her mom's.

I would not have guessed that I would run into someone else with a private road.

10/28/2007 3:05 PM