.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}


Blogs of Writer, Artist, Photographer, & Caregiver Joanne D. Kiggins

My Photo
Location: United States

Joanne has published more than 2,500 articles and was award recipient of the 1990 Woman of the Year for Beaver County, Pennsylvania, for her accomplishments and excellence in journalism and to the community. Her co-authored book, “Unforgettable Journey,” won fifth place in the Grand Beginnings romance contest. An excerpt from her WIP, “Unearthed,” placed her fifth in the Absolute Write Idol contest. Most recently, her essay, “Perseverance,” is published in the Stories of Strength anthology in which 100% of the profits are donated to disaster relief charities. Her most recent articles were published in ByLine Magazine, Writer's Digest, AbsoluteWrite.com, and Moondance.org. She has a monthly freelance writing column at Absolutewrite.com. Currently, she is the sole caregiver for her 85-year-old mother.

Saturday, May 28, 2005

Finally All Moved in With Mom

I've been slowly moving my things to Mom's house so I'm not living out of a suitcase and plastic bags. I've been living with her since mid-February. Much has happened since April 12. Haven't posted here since I've been moving my things into Mom's house and there is no internet there yet and haven't brought my computer to her house. Guess I'll need to get a lap top.

I took Mom to the doctors on Friday, May 13 after one full day of her having a deep congested cough. He thinks she may have bronchitis and ordered a chest x-ray and a script for antibiotics. Turns out she has chronic bronchitis and a touch of pneumonia. Supposed to call him Monday morning if she's not better.

After finishing the antibiotic Sunday, she doesn't sound any better. Monday the 16th I called the doctor and he agreed I should take her to the ER to be checked out. Chest x-ray still showed congestion, so they sent her home with another antibiotic and and inhaler.

Took her to the doctor's Thursday the 19th at 9 am. He gave her another antibiotic and set an appointment for her for Tuesday, May 24. Before we left for the appointment, she nearly passed out in the kitchen. I grabbed her just as she went down and helped her into the kitchen chair. Drove her to the doctor for her 2:30 appointment and by 6:00 pm, they decided to admit her into the Progressive Care Unit for a few days of observation. Her blood pressure was low, her sugar levels were high and she was disoriented.

I've not had much time to do anything but keep and eye on her and run back and forth to the doctor and hospital. I did manage to take an hour or so before going to the hospital to visit and I purchased a lap top to work from Mom's house. Mom was released from the hospital in the afternoon of the 26th. Had internet cable installed on the 27th.

Now we move on, day by day. Other than a cough that will linger for a bit, her bronchitis and pneumonia are gone. If only there were a pill to take to bring back her memory. It's so sad watching her roam around the house not remembering or knowing what she had the thought to do. I'm so glad I'm able to be here for her during this time.

Make me smile. Leave a comment...

Comment Icon From Paper Napkin