.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

WritingAfterDark

Blogs of Writer, Artist, Photographer, & Caregiver Joanne D. Kiggins

Name:
Location: United States

Joanne has published more than 2,500 articles and was award recipient of the 1990 Woman of the Year for Beaver County, Pennsylvania, for her accomplishments and excellence in journalism and to the community. Her co-authored book, “Unforgettable Journey,” won fifth place in the Grand Beginnings romance contest. An excerpt from her WIP, “Unearthed,” placed her fifth in the Absolute Write Idol contest. Most recently, her essay, “Perseverance,” is published in the Stories of Strength anthology in which 100% of the profits are donated to disaster relief charities. Her most recent articles were published in ByLine Magazine, Writer's Digest, AbsoluteWrite.com, and Moondance.org. She has a monthly freelance writing column at Absolutewrite.com. Currently, she is the sole caregiver for her 85-year-old mother.

Wednesday, November 02, 2005

1st Place in Week Four KIA marathon

I nearly fainted when I opened the thread at RWAOnline to read the winners of week four of the marathon. Our Nookie Ninja team took first place. Woo Hoo! I was even more shocked to see that I’d managed to win first place title for Individual writers. Hey all you romance writers out there, if you’re looking for a site packed full of information about romance writing, RWAOnline is the place to be.

Another competition complete, now I’m ready to roll for the NaNoWriMo!

Part Time Week Four Individual Winners

With a total of 238 points Joanne Kiggins from the Nookie Ninjas
With a total of 126 points Judy Soifer from the Ladies of Legend
With a total of 118 points Stacy Brutger from the Historical Hotties

Part Time Week Four Team Winners

Nookie Ninjas (with an average of 111 pages)
Chick Litters (with an average of 58.6 pages)
Historical Hotties (with an average of 57.5 pages)

The KIA Marathon is an annual writing marathon named after and held in honor of Kia Cochran, a RWA member and author of contemporary romance.

Just prior to her death, she'd turned her hand to attempting mystery romances. She passed away in August of 2000, but she left a memory of her caring and a reminder that the most important thing a writer can do is tell a story that will touch the readers' hearts.

Make me smile. Leave a comment...


Comment Icon From Paper Napkin

11 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's amazing Joanne! Congratulations! What a great affirmation of your writing.

11/02/2005 10:08 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yay, Jo! You're an amazing writer. For you, NaNoWriMo will be no challenge whatsoever.

Sara

11/02/2005 2:17 PM  
Blogger ohdawno said...

Congratulations! ::wandering over to RWA online now::

11/05/2005 2:49 AM  
Blogger Joanne said...

Thanks Jason. I give it my best shot each time I touch pen to paper. ;)

11/05/2005 1:37 PM  
Blogger Joanne said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

11/05/2005 1:38 PM  
Blogger Joanne said...

Sara, you're so sweet! I don't know about that. I'm behind already. I have a lot of catching up to do today.

11/05/2005 1:39 PM  
Blogger Joanne said...

Hey, Dawno. Good to see you! Hope you enjoy what you find at RWAonline.

11/05/2005 1:40 PM  
Blogger Mark Pettus said...

Joanne, I saw this a couple of days ago, and have followed your posts, but...

Maybe I didn't read close enough. What is KIA? I know about RWA (I've got a massive crush on one particular RWA member, who shall remain unnamed), but not KIA.

I'm a former soldier, and I must admit that in my confusion, I thought it might be your bodycount... 238? What are you, some kind of female Rambo?

11/06/2005 12:24 PM  
Blogger Joanne said...

ROFL Mark.
I mentioned in the first KIA post that the Kia Marathon was an annual writing marathon held in honor of a RWA member who had passed away. I failed to list her name so I went back into my posts and added her name.

238 was the points I earned for the number of pages I wrote during that fourth week. Each week there was a page number challenge and anything written above that challenge earned an additional two points per page. As I stated in this blog, Week four I wrote 134 pages and completed a novel I'd started writing a number of years ago.

Hmmm...You'll have to tell me more about this crush you have on a RWA member. Maybe I can use it as a plot to my next novel. LOL

Nope, no Rambo here. Just a short, petite female who likes to write romance, horror and mystery. :D

11/06/2005 2:24 PM  
Blogger Ray Wong said...

WTG, Jo. You're an inspiration! If I write like you do... oh scary thought.

11/09/2005 1:43 AM  
Blogger Joanne said...

Thanks, Ray. You're an inspiration to me as well. Congratulations on the upcoming release of The Pacific Between. I can't wait to read the next book!

12/01/2005 10:29 PM