.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

WritingAfterDark

Blogs of Writer, Artist, Photographer, & Caregiver Joanne D. Kiggins

Name:
Location: United States

Joanne has published more than 2,500 articles and was award recipient of the 1990 Woman of the Year for Beaver County, Pennsylvania, for her accomplishments and excellence in journalism and to the community. Her co-authored book, “Unforgettable Journey,” won fifth place in the Grand Beginnings romance contest. An excerpt from her WIP, “Unearthed,” placed her fifth in the Absolute Write Idol contest. Most recently, her essay, “Perseverance,” is published in the Stories of Strength anthology in which 100% of the profits are donated to disaster relief charities. Her most recent articles were published in ByLine Magazine, Writer's Digest, AbsoluteWrite.com, and Moondance.org. She has a monthly freelance writing column at Absolutewrite.com. Currently, she is the sole caregiver for her 85-year-old mother.

Sunday, March 23, 2008

Spring! Snow? Happy Easter!

Hello, my friends. Didn’t mean to worry everyone. Just been very busy taking care of a few things around both houses. The last three Fridays we had fish dinners from our local fire hall. Two Feather sat with Mom while I went and picked up the dinners the first two Fridays and on Good Friday Angel and Tim bought dinners for all of us and brought them to the house to eat dinner with us. Good Friday marked the tenth anniversary of my dad's death.

My doctor has put me through a battery of tests and I’m still waiting on the results from those. He’s not happy with my weight loss and it’s time for my annual tests anyway. We’ll see what comes from that. I’m not really worried. Whatever comes, comes. I’ll handle it.

I’ve been up to the nursing home to visit my Uncle Joe twice since I posted last. He had the flu but seems to be doing better now. His dementia is progressing and his lack of concentration was very evident this past week.

Mom’s appetite is getting better and she’s abandoned using her walker. She’s getting around pretty good and her legs seem to be getting stronger as long as the walking distance isn’t more than ten feet. The time change confused her for nearly a week and she’s back to getting up and down during the night. Seems lately her Alzheimer’s is taking a few steps back instead of progressing. That’s a good thing, it’s just you never know from one moment or day to the next which way it’s going. Memories are coming from nowhere at times and conversations are forgotten within minutes or seconds. I hate this disease and its back and forth, ups and downs and plateauing.

Happy Spring and Happy Easter to all who celebrate. Though I’m not sure spring has sprung with 20 degree temperatures here and another inch of snow. :( The sun has melted all the snow finally.

I’ve missed reading what’s going on with everyone. I’ll try to get caught up on my blog reading this week. Hope all are well. Have a great week everyone!

Labels: , , , , , , ,

Make me smile. Leave a comment...


Comment Icon From Paper Napkin

15 Comments:

Blogger rainbowheart said...

Joanne,
It is so good to hear from you again. I hope that everything is okay and that the test results come back as they should. Weight loss? Ummmm. I need to lose some but I don't want to be sick to lose it. I'm sorry to hear that Uncle Joe is sick. I hope that he gets to feeling better soon. The time change is just a pain in the butt. We didn't even change the time on the clocks at Mom's but reset the time on our watches. I figured that she has enough going on without adding the extra stress of time chance. While everyone else is still under snow, I was mowing the lawn yesterday and working in the flower garden. It is definately Spring here. It has been 70 to 75 degress here for the past few days. Nice but that means that they Summer is going to hot, hot, hot!!! Take care and hope to hear from you soon.

3/23/2008 5:36 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy Easter Joanne! Glad to see a new from post from you! Also that everyone is well. Hope that your test results are not cause for alarm and that everything works out for you!

I can't get over the fact that some parts of the country still have snow! It is nearly 80 here today and looks like we're in for it for the Summer - It is usually over 100, and that is TOO hot for me, so I'm trying to enjoy the 70's and 80's while I can!

Blessings to you and your family today and always, Joanne. Thanks for posting again, I missed you! :)

3/23/2008 7:14 PM  
Blogger nancy said...

i am SO glad to see you post. i was really getting worried!!! glad to hear you mom is doing ok. i'm a bit worried about you though, please keep us posted. glad to hear you have been able to avoid cooking the past few fridays. does it get any easier 10 years after? i'm sure in some ways it must. please take care of yourself my friend. (((hugs)))

3/23/2008 9:00 PM  
Blogger Lori1955 said...

I'm so glad to see you finally posted. Please make sure to let us know the minute you get your test results. We worry you know.
Glad mom is doing ok. It gives you time to adjust and fortify yourself for the next to come. Take care of yourself.

3/24/2008 4:21 AM  
Blogger ~Betsy said...

I've been worried, Joanne. I'm glad to see you are hanging in and getting by. Keep us posted on the test results. Did they check your thyroid? I lost a ton of weight before my thyroid problem was diagnosed.

Take care and ((hugs)) are coming your way!

3/24/2008 7:38 AM  
Blogger rilera said...

Happy Easter Joanne! We had snow too, 10 inches! My mom is plateauing too. It's a welcome change. Praying for your tests to come back negative. Hugs.

3/24/2008 6:22 PM  
Blogger nancy said...

just wondering how you're doing and if you have any of your tests back yet. keep us posted.

3/30/2008 10:24 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Joanne - Checking in with you - You know we worry! Hope all is well!

4/01/2008 12:23 PM  
Blogger cornbread hell said...

just checkin' in on ya, joanne. :)

4/01/2008 6:15 PM  
Blogger ~Betsy said...

Just checking! :)

4/03/2008 8:54 PM  
Blogger rilera said...

Hi Joanne, just checking in and hoping things are OK for you and your mom. {{Cyber hugs}}

4/03/2008 10:59 PM  
Blogger nancy said...

just checking in on BOTH you and your mom. hope all is well. (((hugs)))

4/04/2008 9:35 PM  
Blogger nancy said...

i read on robyn's blog last night that your mom is in for 2 weeks of respite. i hope you and two are taking full advantage of your time off and you are able to relax and do things just for you. i remember it is hard to stop worrying about them when they are in respite. keep us posted when you have time, but first and foremost enjoy yourself!!! (((hugs)))

4/05/2008 8:21 AM  
Blogger Annie said...

Just checking in!

4/07/2008 8:51 PM  
Blogger ¸.•*´)ღ¸.•*´Chris said...

Just checking in! How did your tests turn out?

4/14/2008 6:05 PM