.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

WritingAfterDark

Blogs of Writer, Artist, Photographer, & Caregiver Joanne D. Kiggins

Name:
Location: United States

Joanne has published more than 2,500 articles and was award recipient of the 1990 Woman of the Year for Beaver County, Pennsylvania, for her accomplishments and excellence in journalism and to the community. Her co-authored book, “Unforgettable Journey,” won fifth place in the Grand Beginnings romance contest. An excerpt from her WIP, “Unearthed,” placed her fifth in the Absolute Write Idol contest. Most recently, her essay, “Perseverance,” is published in the Stories of Strength anthology in which 100% of the profits are donated to disaster relief charities. Her most recent articles were published in ByLine Magazine, Writer's Digest, AbsoluteWrite.com, and Moondance.org. She has a monthly freelance writing column at Absolutewrite.com. Currently, she is the sole caregiver for her 85-year-old mother.

Friday, February 15, 2008

New Medication Working Good So Far

I kept Mom home from day care on Wednesday again because the driveway was solid ice after the storm. Had the driveway plowed and salted and by afternoon the sun had melted some of the ice.

By Thursday, we were on the road again and Mom went back to day care. When I picked Mom up I was told there was an incident at day care. Evidently, Mom was sitting with Mr. N. and one of the workers walked up to her and said, “You don’t belong here. You need to move to another table.” I was told she grabbed Mom by the shoulders and nudged her toward the other side of the room. Mom complained to the supervisor about the woman’s action and supposedly the worker was reprimanded and made to apologize to my mom. I was glad they told me about it, but I wasn’t happy with what happened. I felt more than a bit let down because I know the woman and I never expected her to act or treat Mom in this fashion. It must have bothered Mom because she remembered it and told me about it on the way home. She said she was glad the lady apologized and she was going to forget it for now. But if it ever happened again, she wasn’t going back. I picked up Mom’s new medication, Seroquel, on the way home and she took it for the first time Thursday evening. It's a low dose before bed. The doctor prescribed 25mg tablets and Mom's only suppose to take a half tablet at bedtime. She slept sound. YAY!! So did I. DOUBLE YAY!! I can’t remember the last time I had two good night’s sleep in a row, but it felt wonderful! That was a Valentine’s gift all in itself. :)

Two and I went grocery shopping on Thursday and spent the rest of the afternoon watching Saw IV. All four of these movies were good. Of course, I’m a horror and thriller fan, so naturally I’m going to say I loved them. That was our Valentine’s Day together. Watching a horror flick.

Today, when I took Mom to day care, the lady who was gruff with her on Thursday pulled up in front of the day care at the same time. She was very pleasant and held the door for Mom to walk in. She said “good morning” to Mom and Mom answered as if nothing had happened. I did say good morning and talked with her, but I didn’t bother mentioning the incident. I figured the supervisor reprimanded her and I didn’t need to make a big deal about it. I’m sure she knows me well enough that if anything like that happens again that I won’t be as courteous the next time. She probably felt lucky that I didn’t say anything this time. I can be very nasty when it comes to protecting my mom.

Today was a do nothing day. Even though I slept well the past two nights, I still feel run down so Two and I just talked all day. Mom had a good day at club and I was happy there were no reports of any kind.

Mom was extremely tired while she ate dinner. She didn’t eat much again tonight. Her appetite has diminished so much. All she wanted to do was finish eating and go to bed. By 5:30 she was snoring.

Angel, (not my daughter) an old friend called my house and Two called to tell me she called. Angel and I used to pal around together in the 80s. We kept in touch for a long time and drifted apart due to life changes. I ran into her at a local store just before I moved in with Mom. She knew Mom had Alzheimer’s but we hadn’t seen each other or talked since so she didn’t know I’d moved in with Mom three years ago. It was really good talking to her after all this time. We were best buddies back then and it didn’t take but a few minutes on the phone to realize how much we’d missed talking to each other. Anyway, if you read this, Angel, thanks for calling. It was wonderful talking to you again.

I’m signing off for now. This new medication is really working wonders so I’m going to take advantage of the fact that Mom is resting peacefully. See you all soon. Joanne does a happy dance as she signs off for the night. :D

Labels: , , , , , , ,

Make me smile. Leave a comment...


Comment Icon From Paper Napkin

13 Comments:

Blogger Sara Spock said...

So glad you're getting some sleep Joanne. You deserve it, oodles of it. Hugs.

2/15/2008 8:59 PM  
Blogger rainbowheart said...

Joanne,
It is so good to hear that you are getting some sleep. Much needed sleep, I'm sure. The past couple of nights I have been sleeping really light. I don't know why..it just happens. I feel like I could sleep late tomorrow myself but I know that is not going to happen...lol. It was good to read that you and Two had sometime on Valentine's Day. I have never seen any of the Saw movies and I don't think that I would...I don't like horror movies. I'm a comedy kind of girl....lol...Take care and have a good weekend...Gentle hugs to you my friend..
P.S. How is the weather in your neck of the woods?

2/15/2008 11:08 PM  
Blogger nancy said...

i am SO glad to hear that the seroquel seems to be working and that you have had 2 nights of sleep. i hope that continues. even though i use to feel bad giving russ meds for his behavior i figured if it could keep him at home with me and help calm him as well it was worth it. plus i knew that if he were at some facility, 10 to 1 he would have been on even more drugs.

pleasant dreams my friend!

2/16/2008 1:34 AM  
Blogger ¸.•*´)ღ¸.•*´Chris said...

Hope you are having sweet dreams. You so deserve it!

2/16/2008 1:51 AM  
Blogger Annie said...

I'm glad the medication is working for your Mom, and you!

Pleasant dreams.

2/16/2008 12:00 PM  
Blogger Joanne said...

Hi Sara. Thanks for reading and the hugs. :)

Gale, I think sometimes we wake up because our bodies are so used to getting woken. The weather here is awful. Lots of snow and very cold. Wishing I were somewhere warm right now. LOL

Nancy, I feel the same way about medications. Three years ago Mom was taking 17 pills a day. Since I moved in three years ago, I've been able to keep her on a good and regular diet and the doctor has been able to eliminate 11 of those medications. I hate having her on mood altering meds, but as you say, it helps her, and it helps in keeping her in her own home longer.

Thanks Chris and Annie. Hope you two are getting more rest as well.

((HUGS)) to all.

2/16/2008 12:20 PM  
Blogger ~Betsy said...

It's great to see you are getting more rest, Joanne. I sure hope it continues - for both you and your mom's good.

I'm concerned about the day care worker, as I'm sure you are. Yes, we all have bad days but as my grandmother used to say, "if you can't stand the heat, get out of the kitchen." I hope this worker soon gets a grip.

2/16/2008 12:31 PM  
Blogger rilera said...

I'm glad the seroquel is working for you and your Mom. My Mom takes it as well and it does seem to help her.

2/16/2008 12:44 PM  
Blogger Lori1955 said...

OK, horror flicks on Valentines day? Hmmm. Never would have figured you for that. LOL.

Glad you are getting some good solid sleep. Hope it lasts. Sweet dreams.

2/17/2008 9:42 AM  
Blogger nancy said...

just checking in on you and hoping you and your mom both had good and restful weekends.

2/18/2008 1:27 PM  
Blogger Frank Baron said...

Sounds like the sleep has been good for both of you.

Is that Two I see nodding? ;)

2/18/2008 3:28 PM  
Blogger Joanne said...

Yes, Betsy, I was concerned about the worker too, especially since she lives near us and I know her. The get out of the kitchen may be a good suggestion because she tends to get in bad moods easily. I know it better never happen again. Ever.

Robyn, hope it continues to work for your mom.

Lori, thanks for the wish of sweet dreams. LOL that you didn't figure I'd watch horror on Valentine's Day. I love horror. I write it as well, so I guess I'd watch it everday if I could. :D

Nancy, we had a good weekend. She's sleeping much better now.

Hi Frank. Yes, Two was nodding and most likely muttering under his breath "Thank goodness! Maybe she won't be so grouchy now." You know how I can get when I get grouchy. :D

2/18/2008 7:46 PM  
Blogger rilera said...

I'm glad the seroquel is working. I too struggled with the meds decision but I decided that if it helped mom's quality of life then it was worth it.

2/19/2008 10:27 PM