.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

WritingAfterDark

Blogs of Writer, Artist, Photographer, & Caregiver Joanne D. Kiggins

Name:
Location: United States

Joanne has published more than 2,500 articles and was award recipient of the 1990 Woman of the Year for Beaver County, Pennsylvania, for her accomplishments and excellence in journalism and to the community. Her co-authored book, “Unforgettable Journey,” won fifth place in the Grand Beginnings romance contest. An excerpt from her WIP, “Unearthed,” placed her fifth in the Absolute Write Idol contest. Most recently, her essay, “Perseverance,” is published in the Stories of Strength anthology in which 100% of the profits are donated to disaster relief charities. Her most recent articles were published in ByLine Magazine, Writer's Digest, AbsoluteWrite.com, and Moondance.org. She has a monthly freelance writing column at Absolutewrite.com. Currently, she is the sole caregiver for her 85-year-old mother.

Thursday, January 10, 2008

Tornadoes in Alabama--Worried Mom Here

Day care was open today and routines were back to normal. Stacey called me in the early afternoon. She's such a stinker. She sounded like she was pretending to sniffle (you know those sounds I mentioned I heard on the phone that always told me something was wrong) and proceeded to tell me that there were 20 tornadoes headed her way in Alabama. She may really have been crying, but she hides her emotions very well from me lately. The schools closed and she had to leave work and pick up the kids. She said she'd call me back in an hour or so and let me know if everything was OK.

While talking to her, I told her she should have stayed in PA instead of moving back to Alabama. I remember how she used to call me just before every threat of a tornado. We bought her a crank generated weather band radio for Christmas last year, so she'd always be able to hear a weather report if the power went out. She was always a nervous wreck; asking me what she should do if she spotted one. There are no basements to hide in, so I always said she should grab a mattress, get everyone in the bathtub, and hold the mattress over them. If that wasn't possible, I joked that she should stand between the most sturdy doorframe, bend over, and kiss her butt goodbye. She always got a chuckle out of that. It's not so funny, when you actually think about it, though. There is nowhere to hide from a tornado down there.

You'd think the Army base would have underground bunkers, or something in place for the safety of their employees.

No call came in. I tried calling her cell phone after I got Mom settled and the call didn't go through. It disconnected after a single ring. I watched the weather report and couldn't tell if her area was hit or not.

I'll try again in the morning and see if I can get through. I hate not knowing. Guess I'm going to have to get a better communication system with her in cases like these.

Stacey, if you went back to work today, let me know you weren't bent over between the doorframe and how things went. You worry the pants off your mother and Two. :D

Labels: , , , ,

Make me smile. Leave a comment...


Comment Icon From Paper Napkin

12 Comments:

Blogger nancy said...

i'm saying a prayer that stacy and her family is all right. keep us posted!

glad your mom was able to return to daycare, for both of you!

1/11/2008 10:07 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just what you need - more stress.

(not)

I hope you've heard from her by now. Remember that vacation we were talking about?

I think it's time. Well, actually I think it's past time but ... I hope you're thinking about it more than just thinking.

1/11/2008 11:53 AM  
Blogger Annie said...

Sending thoughts your way and to Alabama!

1/11/2008 10:07 PM  
Blogger Lori1955 said...

Oh gosh. Tornados scare me to death. Is everyone alright? We're waiting for an update and worrying along with you.

1/11/2008 11:24 PM  
Blogger stay4real said...

Yes Mom :) everything is fine here in BAMA. I crapped my pants for nothing. (Hope that wasn't too gross, but it was just a joke). They all died out before the storms got here... they were closer to Birmingham. THank you all for your prayers though! Oh, and now you know that my cell phone didn't work because Trinity spilled about a quart of orange juice directly on it. I told her she could have killed it easier if she'd just have dunked it in the cup a few times. I'll be a few weeks without a cell phone, but you have the house number, and I'll give you the work and Dennis' also. Oh yeah... I got a call about Soup already. THey want me to bring him to PetSmart tomorrow to meet :)

1/12/2008 12:21 AM  
Blogger nancy said...

so glad stacy and family are ok, i know you were worried.

1/13/2008 2:57 PM  
Blogger rilera said...

Glad to hear your daughter and her family are OK. Hope you were able to get some rest.

1/13/2008 3:09 PM  
Blogger ~Betsy said...

I guess it doesn't matter how old they are - a mom is always going to worry. Glad all is well.

1/13/2008 9:07 PM  
Blogger nancy said...

just checking in on you. hope all is well.

1/15/2008 9:50 AM  
Blogger StefanieRose said...

aww I hope that everyone is alright. *hugs* big buddy.

1/15/2008 8:32 PM  
Blogger Joanne said...

Thanks, Robyn. I caught a few hours sleep. ;)

You're right, Betsy. We mothers worry no matter what age.

Doing fine, Nancy. Thanks for checking.

Hi Stef. Everyone is just dandy. LOL

1/15/2008 9:44 PM  
Blogger cornbread hell said...

the word verication word right now is "oypot." sounds like something a person might shout hearing a tornado was coming. or hearing it DIDN'T come.

1/24/2008 6:25 PM