.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

WritingAfterDark

Blogs of Writer, Artist, Photographer, & Caregiver Joanne D. Kiggins

Name:
Location: United States

Joanne has published more than 2,500 articles and was award recipient of the 1990 Woman of the Year for Beaver County, Pennsylvania, for her accomplishments and excellence in journalism and to the community. Her co-authored book, “Unforgettable Journey,” won fifth place in the Grand Beginnings romance contest. An excerpt from her WIP, “Unearthed,” placed her fifth in the Absolute Write Idol contest. Most recently, her essay, “Perseverance,” is published in the Stories of Strength anthology in which 100% of the profits are donated to disaster relief charities. Her most recent articles were published in ByLine Magazine, Writer's Digest, AbsoluteWrite.com, and Moondance.org. She has a monthly freelance writing column at Absolutewrite.com. Currently, she is the sole caregiver for her 85-year-old mother.

Sunday, December 16, 2007

Safely Home by Priests of the Sacred Heart

I normally don’t talk about or post religious things but this has me stymied. I cleaned off Mom’s dresser on Saturday and the only things left on it were her jewelry box, a few pictures of her and Dad, her handkerchiefs, and her hairbrush and comb.

This morning, the same things were on the dresser as were last night. I spent the entire day with Mom, never leaving her side. She never went to her bedroom all day and we had no visitors.

This evening, when I put her to bed, I found a card on her dresser. This card was not even part of the mess I cleaned off her dresser. It’s an old yellowed card from the Priests of the Sacred Heart Monastery that my dad used to contribute to each year.

Here is the front of the card.



The back had this poem on it. I don’t know if it was a sign or if it was just there to be shared. It touched me, so I thought I’d share it with all of you. It says so much about death, grieving, and life.

Safely Home

I am home in Heaven, dear ones;
Oh, so happy and so bright!
There is perfect joy and beauty
In this everlasting light.

All the pain and grief is over,
Every restless tossing passed;
I am now at peace forever,
Safely home in Heaven at last.

Did you wonder I so calmly
Trod the valley of the shade?
Oh! But Jesus’ arm to lean on,
Could I have one doubt or dread?

Then you must not grieve so sorely,
For I love you dearly still:
Try to look beyond earth’s shadows,
Pray to trust our Father’s Will.

There is work still waiting for you,
So you must not idly stand;
Do it now, while life remaineth—
You shall rest in Jesus’ land.

When that work is all completed,
He will gently call you Home;
Oh, the rapture of that meeting,
Oh, the joy to see you come!

Labels: , , , , , , ,

Make me smile. Leave a comment...


Comment Icon From Paper Napkin

7 Comments:

Blogger cornbread hell said...

whoa!
did you hear harps? or twilight zone music?

12/16/2007 9:23 PM  
Blogger Joanne said...

Seriously! Not sure I'd want to hear either one right now. That just might freak me out completely. LOL

12/16/2007 9:41 PM  
Blogger Jeff said...

A lovely poem. Thank you for sharing, Joanne. :)

12/17/2007 8:49 AM  
Blogger Lori1955 said...

wow, I got goosebumps hearing that story. I think that poem was meant for you to share.

12/17/2007 10:45 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Hi Joanne - I'm glad you shared the poem - and the story.

Thinking about and praying for you, too.

12/17/2007 4:35 PM  
Blogger nancy said...

pretty awesome i'd say. thanks for sharing. we never know how God will act in our lives. hope you get a good night's sleep tonight and Mr. N behaves himself!

12/17/2007 6:00 PM  
Blogger Joanne said...

Thanks for reading, Jeff. Always good to see you here.

Lori, that's how I felt when I saw it laying there. Goosebumps...odd...just strange.

Good to see you, Terry. Hope all is going well with you.

Nancy, it was pretty awesome, now that I've given it some thought. As far as Mr. N...I think the doctor's prescription may be taking care of him. ;)

12/17/2007 9:55 PM